January is the perfect time to get rid of your finances, break bad spending habits, get rid of your debts and make simple savings.
The experts in CreditCards.ie Share with us how to tackle financial waste and make lasting changes to the way you manage your money in 2022.
1. Get a clear picture: Start by taking a close look at your income and expenses. List all your bills, subscriptions, debts, insurances, and other regular expenses. Be honest with yourself and highlight areas you can change and then develop a plan to address them.
2. Check your credit score: The higher your credit score, the higher your chances of getting a mortgage, car financing, or loan. Your credit report will help you spot any problems and help you manage your money in the future. You can check this by registering with the Irish Credit Bureau (ICB).
3. Head-to-head Debt Handling: It’s easy to overspend at Christmas, so if you do, it’s imperative that you have a plan to pay off what you owe. Hefty interest fees can add to your balance, so see if you can save by taking out a balance transfer credit card to get extra time to pay off debt.
4. Reducing Energy Costs: Energy bills take a big chunk out of any household budget, so it’s worth looking at ways to reduce energy use at home and how you can cut costs by switching your supplier. You can save up to €570 Once you switch to a different gas and electricity tariff.
5. Compare Cover: Most homeowners pay for home and car coverage, but insurance is often a forgotten expense. Insurance companies take advantage of our financial forgetfulness and pay off our loyalty by automatically renewing higher premiums. Use comparison sites to search and switch to a better value insurance company.
6. Loss of interest: If you are using a standard variable rate mortgage, you are likely paying more than you need to. Talk to your mortgage provider or broker, for free, about changing to a fixed rate deal and making the most of lower interest rates.
7. Simplifying Subscriptions: If you are looking for streaming TV and other digital entertainment services, check how much you use them and if they are worth the price. Some of these services offer family plans that can save you money if there is more than one in your home.