Margaret Thatcher died on April 8th, 2013. Before reaching hell, she may have time to glimpse starving ghosts of ten hunger strikers. These ten Irish political prisoners were republicans who died for their country after an incredible epic. Some, such as Bobby Sands, even became elected members of the parliament (United Kingdom House of Commons) during their agony.
Margaret Thatcher, in power in London at this time, glibly followed the slow death of those Irish. She never intended to take a step forward, or to give an inch on demands relating to human dignity. IRA and INLA prisoners just wanted a slightly more humane imprisonment. Some of them were tortured while they were nothing but skin and bones at death’s door. Patsy O’Hara’s face had multiple broken bones at his death; wardens took it out on his body.
In 1981, Margaret Thatcher left the human world to become a cold-blooded monster. In 2013, we will not miss her.
In 1981, a lot of graffiti came up in Brittany, including in the Nantes area, to honor the ten Irish martyrs. Today, there are many Bretons remembering our ten Irish brothers who died in 1981 for the freedom and unity of Ireland.
List of prisoners dead in 1981 under detention in the H-Blocks (internment camps of the British government in Northern Ireland):
– Bobby Sands (IRA), 27, died on May 5th after 66 days of hunger strike;
– Francis Hughes (IRA), 25, died on May 12th after 59 days of hunger strike;
– Raymond McCreesh (IRA), 24, died on May 21st after 61 days of hunger strike;
– Patsy O’Hara (INLA), 23, died on May 21st after 61 days of hunger strike;
– Joe McDonnel (IRA), 30, died on July 8th after 61 days of hunger strike;
– Martin Hurson (IRA), 29, died on July 12th after 46 days of hunger strike;
– Kevin Lynch (INLA), 25, died on August 1st after 71 days of hunger strike;
– Kieran Doherty (IRA), 25, died on August 2nd after 73 days of hunger strike;
– Thomas McElwee (IRA), 23, died on August 8th after 62 days of hunger strike;
– and Michael Devine (INLA), 27, died on August 20th after 60 days of hunger strike.